One District One Product – The government of Uttar Pradesh has initiated the One District, One Product scheme to encourage indigenous and specialized products and crafts of the state. The scheme aims to capitalize on the rich heritage of Uttar Pradesh by reviving them through modernization and publicization to enhance the reach of these products.
ODOP is basically a Japanese business development concept, which gained prominence in 1979. It is aimed at promoting a competitive and staple product from a specific area to push sales and improve the standard of living of the local population. Over time, it has been replicated in other Asian countries as well.
Why One District One Product (ODOP) in UP?
- There are products in UP that cannot be found anywhere else. Products like
- The ancient and nutritious ‘Kala namak’ rice
- The rare technique of wheat-stalk craft,
- The famous chikankari and zari-zardozi work garments
- The horn and bone work uses the remains of dead animals rather than living ones, making it a nature-friendly replacement for ivory.
Many of these products are GI-tagged.
Significance of One District One Product (ODOP)
- The ODOPs are useful in the preservation and development of local crafts/ skills and promoting art.
- It aids in the increase in the incomes and local employment which results in the decline in migration in search of employment.
- Improvement in product quality and skill development would be a result of this scheme
- ODOP would also help in transforming the products in an artistically (it can be either through packaging or branding)
- To connect the production with tourism. This can be done using a live demo and sales outlet that would provide gifts and souvenir
- The program would also help resolve the issues of economic differences along with regional imbalances among states district
- The artisans can be trained and can be taken to the national and international level after successful implementation of their projects at the state level
Eligibility Criteria for One District One Product (ODOP)
- The age of the applicant should be a minimum of 18 years
- The applicant should be a resident of Uttar Pradesh
Financial Assistance under the ODOP Programme
Various schemes and programs are there to help people seek financial assistance. Here’s a list:
- Common Facility Centre (CFC) Scheme: This scheme would provide financial assistance of up to 90 percent of the project cost. It is provided by the state government.
- Marketing Development Assistance Scheme: The financial assistance would be provided to all participants of national and international exhibitions and fairs. They can use it for displaying and selling their products selected under the ODOP program.
- Finance Assistance Scheme (Margin Money Scheme): This scheme benefits with not whole but a margin of the project cost. The applicants receive it in the form of a subsidy to set up the project.
- Skill Development Scheme: In this, all skilled artisans would be trained through RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning). They would be certified through various Sector Skill Councils, SSCs, whereas the unskilled artisans would be trained for 10 days and provided with an advanced toolkit which will be free of cost
Common Facility Centre Scheme in One District One Product
To establish a Common Facility Centre (CFC) which would encompass the following activities:
- Testing Lab
- Design Development and Training Centre
- Technical research and Development Centre
- Product exhibition cum Selling Centre
- Raw Material Bank / Common Resource Centre
- Common Production / Processing Centre
- Common Logistics Centre
- Information, Communication and Broadcasting Centre
- Packaging, Labelling, and Barcoding facilities
- Other such facilities related to missing link of the value chain
Process of establishing a CFC
- A Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) to be created by any of the entities, as mentioned in Section II
- The SPV shall comprise of minimum 20 members. Out of the total members, a minimum of two-third of members shall be related to the ODOP programme
- The SPV should be registered with appropriate registration authorities
- The SPV must include ODOP product-related stakeholders and a State government representative
- No single member should hold more than 10% of the total SPV’s shares
- The SPV shall be responsible for the management, operation, and maintenance of the CFC, and no recurrent expenditure would be borne by the state under the scheme
- EOI (Expression of Interest) would be invited from interested parties
Incentives to setup CFC
- For CFCs of the project cost up to Rs. 15 crores, the State government shall provide financial assistance up to 90% of the project cost, while a minimum of 10% would be borne by the SPV
- Financial assistance would also be given for CFCs of project cost more than Rs 15 crores, provided the State’s share would be calculated on Rs 15 crores only
- The State government can also sanction capital for projects of similar nature, previously approved by the Central & State governments, which are incomplete due to the lack of funds. For supporting such incomplete projects, proper justification would be provided.
Skill Development Scheme
The ODOP Skill Development and Tool Kit Distribution Scheme are aimed at fulfilling current and future requirements of a skilled workforce in the entire value chain of ODOP products, across the state of Uttar Pradesh. Additionally, the scheme intends to equip the artisans/workers through the distribution of relevant advanced tool kits.
Eligibility Criteria for Skill Development Scheme
- The age of the applicant should be a minimum of 18 years
- The applicant should be a resident of Uttar Pradesh
- Educational qualification is not mandatory
- The applicant shall not have availed any benefit concerning the toolkit from either the GoI or the State Government in the last 2 years
- As per the scheme, the applicant or any of his family members shall be eligible to apply for the scheme only once. For this scheme, the husband and wife constitute a family
- An affidavit is to be presented for meeting the eligibility criteria under the scheme
Incentives under Skill Development Scheme
- The artisan who is already skilled shall be imparted required training through RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) and shall be certified through relevant Sector Skill Councils (SSCs)
- Unskilled artisans shall be provided a 10-day training. Post completion of training, these artisans shall also be certified under RPL
- All the trainees shall receive an honorarium of Rs. 200 per day during the training period
- An advanced toolkit, free of cost, shall be provided by the department to the trained artisans
Marketing Development Assistance Scheme
A Market Development Assistance Scheme is currently operated by the Ministry of Commerce to encourage exporters (including MSME exporters) to access and develop overseas markets.
The scheme offers to fund for participation in international fairs, study tours abroad, trade delegations, publicity, etc.
Direct assistance under MDA for small- scale units is given for individual sales-cum-study tours, participation in fairs/exhibitions, and publicity. SIDBI operates a scheme of direct assistance for financing activities relating to the marketing of MSME products.
The scheme offers to fund for:
- Participation by manufacturing Small & Micro Enterprises in International Trade Fairs/ Exhibitions under MSME India stall.
- Sector-specific market studies by Industry Associations/ Export Promotion Councils/ Federation of Indian Export Organisation.
- Initiating/ contesting anti-dumping cases by MSME Associations and
- Reimbursement of 75% of the one-time registration fee (w.e.f. Ist January 2002) and 75% of annual fees (recurring) (w.e.f. Ist June 2007) paid to GSI (Formerly EAN India) by Small & Micro units for the first three years for bar code.
Margin Money / Financial Assistance Scheme
- Under this scheme, all nationalized banks, regional rural banks, and other scheduled banks will finance the business and the Department of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises and Department of Export Promotion shall release the ODOP margin money subsidy against all applications submitted under the scheme.
- For enterprises with project cost up to INR 25 lakhs, 25% of the entire project cost subject to a maximum of INR 6.25 lakhs, whichever is less, shall be payable under the margin money scheme.
- For enterprises with project costs between INR 25 lakhs to 50 lakhs, INR 6.25 lakhs or 20% of the project cost whichever is more, shall be payable under the margin money scheme.
- For enterprises with project cost between INR 50 lakhs to 150 lakhs, INR 10 lakhs or 10% of the project cost, whichever is more, shall be payable under the margin money scheme.
- For enterprises with project costs exceeding INR 150 lakhs, 10% of the entire amount subject to a maximum of INR 20 lakhs, whichever is less, shall be payable under the margin money scheme.
How does it work?
- In this project, one particular product is selected from every district of Uttar Pradesh. The
- Selected product under ODOP is traditionally famous for its production and manufacturing from that particular district (e.g Lucknow is famous for zari-zardozi and chikankari). Many of these products are GI-tagged, which means they are certified as being specific to that region in Uttar Pradesh.
- The manufacturing process of a lot of these products is also dying community traditions that are being revived through modernization and publicization.
- Under the ODOP program, artisans, production units and associations which are related to the selected products are promoted by lending loan, establishing Common Facility Centers, providing marketing assistance so these products can be popularized and employment can be generated at the district level.
Subsequently, this scheme will provide job opportunities to 25 lakh unemployed candidates across the state. Accordingly, the UP govt. will provide Rs. 25000/- to local craftsmen and entrepreneurs in the upcoming 5 years. UP govt. had launched this scheme on 24 January 2018. The complete ODOP district wise list of products is available at odop.in
One District One Product Scheme will raise the GDP of the state to 2 percent. Govt. will implement this scheme with the collaboration of several industries working in various states. Furthermore, each district will get assigned a product under Ek Zila – Ek Utpadan Scheme.
The primary objective of this scheme is to focus on a particular product and raise its quality to compete in the international market. The detailed list of products associated with each district is described below.
The important features of One District One Product Scheme 2020 are as follows:-
- ODOP scheme is essential for the inclusive development of the entire state.
- The official website for the One District One Product Scheme is odopup. in
- Subsequently, this scheme will increase the growth of small, medium, and traditional industries of the districts.
- Accordingly, the state govt. Will focus on adapting new technology to make the product competing in the market.
- Under this scheme, around 25 lakh unemployed youths will get jobs, and the GDP of the state will get raised by 2 percent.
- The state govt. had launched the One District One Product Scheme on 24 January 2018.
The complete list of all the districts along with their products under One District One Product Scheme 2020 are as follows:-
|Aligarh||Locks and Hardware|
|Ambedkar Nagar||Textile Products|
|Auraiya||Food Processing (Desi Ghee)|
|Balrampur||Food Processing (Pulses)|
|Banda||Shazar Stone Craft|
|Etah||Ankle Bells (Ghungroo), Bells and Brass Products|
|Fatehpur||Bedsheets and Iron Fabrication Works|
|Gautam Buddh Nagar||Readymade Garments|
|Ghazipur||Jute Wall Hanging|
|Gonda||Food Processing (Pulses)|
|Jalaun||Handmade Paper Art|
|Jaunpur||Woolen Carpets (Dari)|
|Kanpur Dehat||Aluminum Utensils|
|Kanpur Nagar||Leather Products|
|Kaushambi||Food Processing (Banana)|
|Kushinagar||Banana Fiber Products|
|Lakhimpur Kheri||Tribal Craft|
|Lalitpur||Zari Silk Sarees|
|Lucknow||Chikankari & Zari Zardozi|
|Mahoba||Gaura Stone Craft|
|Rampur||Applique Work along with Patch Work, Zari Patchwork|
|Sant Kabir Nagar||Brassware Craft|
|Siddharthnagar||Kala Namak Rice|
|Varanasi||Banarasi Silk Saree|
District Wise Product List for ODOP Scheme
After the successful implementation of the One District One Product Scheme 2020, all the products will get international recognition. Moreover, these products will become brands and also become an identity of brand UP. This scheme will emphasize raising the quality of these products so that these products can compete on the international level.
For more details, visit the official website at http://odopup.in/
One District One Product Scheme Registration Process
- To register themselves as buyer or seller applicants need to visit the official website of One District One Product
- Then you need to go to the link “Buyers and sellers platform” option
- After that, you need to select one of the options from the drop-down list whether “Amazon” or “GeM Portal”
- Now, click the “buyers and sellers” option from further options
- Click the Signup option and choose the seller option from there
- Now click the “review terms and conditions” option
- Read the information given in the PDF very carefully
- Tick the check box and enter the Constitution Type, Constitution name, and registration type
- Fill the rest application form shows on the screen of the computer
- Apply to complete the registration process
- Now, select the seller option from further options
- Application form to register as a seller will appear on the screen
- Enter all the details in the application that appear on the screen
- Click the submit option given next to the blank fields to submit the form
It has been a very good initiative by the government of Uttar Pradesh to launch such a scheme that would, in turn, give a push to Make in India in the state, give a new life to its small scale industries and generate employment for lakhs of people by reviving many lost arts, traditions, and professions.
The government needs to implement and monitor the program and also aid the industries to get easy financial assistance by making user-friendly web portals for the same.